ACHARYA SHUNYA is one of the extraordinary teachers of the living, embodied wisdom of Ayurveda. She transmits it through the roots of her ancient family lineage as well as throughout her newest book, Ayurveda Lifestyle Wisdom (Sounds True, February 2017), in which Shunya awakens the power to abiding health, all naturally, with ease. Shunya is the driving force behind Vedika Global, a wisdom school dedicated to awakening health and consciousness by illuminating the sciences of Ayurveda, Yoga, and Vedanta. She is a sought after speaker who delivers keynote addresses at national and international conferences. Shunya is the President of California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine, and is advisor to several noteworthy national and international organizations, including to the Government of India on international Ayurveda and Yoga affairs. She was recognized as one of the “Top 100 Trailblazer of Ayurveda and Yoga in America” by Spirituality and Health Magazine in 2015 and awarded for her Distinguished Service in Ayurveda and Yoga by the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. Visit www.vedikaglobal.org or www.acharyashunya.com for more information.
G.F. Vegan Tofu Meatballs with Soy Sesame Drizzle
1 lb Tofu, pressed to remove water Sauce
2 Tbs Olive Oil ¼ cup Tamari
1 cup chopped onions 1 TBS. fresh ground ginger
1 Tbs. chopped garlic 1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. chopped ginger 1 t. sesame oil
1 cup grated carrots 1 t. corn starch (or potato starch)
1 stalk celery, chopped 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
2 cups chopped baby Portobello mushrooms ¼ t. hot sesame oil (optional)
2 Tbs. Flax seed, soaked in 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
½ cup fresh parsley Tofu Ball Coating
2 Tbs tamari ¾ cup GF Panko Flakes
1 Tbs Aji Mirin (sweet rice wine) 3 Tbs. sesame seeds
¼ cup fresh cilantro pinch salt
2 cups fresh spinach
1 bunch chives, chopped
2 t. baking powder
¼ cup sesame seeds Garnish
¼ cup GF panko flakes 1 Tbs sesame seeds
2 cups cooked short grain brown rice ¼ cup cilantro or parsley
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
1. Sauté onions, carrots and celery, in olive oil with garlic and ginger, until soft.
2. Add Portobello mushrooms and cook 5 more minutes.
3. Add Mirin and tamari and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. In food processor, pulse the parsley and cilantro until fine. Add the tofu and pulse until mixed. Add the sautéed veggies and spinach and pulse until incorporated.
5. Transfer tofu to large mixing bowl and add the brown rice, the chopped chives, the soaked flax seeds, baking powder, sesame seeds, panko flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well.
6. Combine the GF Panko flakes, sesame seeds and salt into a deep pie pan or bowl, Form mixture into balls, and roll in panko mixture. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375’ for 20 minutes, turn over and bake another 10-20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, brown sugar, and sesame oil. Mix the 1 t. cornstarch with 1 t. water in small bowl. When the mixture warms up, slowly add in cornstarch-water mixture. Stir occasionally while sauce thickens to gravy like consistency. Remove from heat.
8. Place Tofu balls in medium bowl or on a platter. Drizzle with soy sesame sauce.
9. Sprinkle top of tofu balls with sesame seeds, parsley or cilantro leaves as garnish