Josh Balk has led efforts to enact animal welfare policies with many of the world’s largest companies, including Walmart, Wendy’s, Kroger, Denny’s and dozens more. These policies have helped shift the food industry’s reliance on veal crates, gestation crates and battery cages. He's also been a leader in creating and supporting start-up animal-friendly companies, including co-founding Hampton Creek, and guiding venture capital firms and high net worth individuals to invest in this space. Prior to coming to HSUS, Balk worked at Compassion Over Killing (COK) where he conducted investigations into factory farm operations and launched one of our nation’s first advertising campaigns on farm animals. Balk’s work has been covered by the Associated Press, Fortune, CNN, New York Times, Washington Post and dozens of other outlets.
Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping- Vegan and GF
Preheat oven to 350*- Makes 12 muffins
1 Tbs ground flax seeds, mixed with 1 Tbs. apple cider and 1 Tbs. water
4 medium ripe bananas
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup organic oil ( safflower, canola or coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1-½ cups GF, Dairy Free flour
½ cup GF oats, ground
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. GF, Dairy Free flour
3 Tbs. GF Oats
3 Tbs. organic oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and either grease or line a muffin tin with paper
2. In small bowl, dissolve the flax seed, water and apple cider vinegar. Let set for 5 minutes.
3. In large mixing bowl, mash the bananas, and mix with the maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Add the flax seed.
4. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients, the GF flour, GF oats, baking soda,baking powder, cinnamon and salt
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well
6. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full
7. Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of muffins.
8. Bake for 17-22 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes, remove from muffin tin and serve warm. Once completely cooled, store in a covered container at room temp for several days. Freeze for longer term storage.