Terry Meer has been teaching environmental classes since 2008 on topics including; water catchment systems, solar energy, organic gardening, permaculture design and other green technologies. He was invited to visit the Kashi Ashram back in 2015, and was intrigued by the challenge to create a vibrant permaculture community that shared many of his life’s values. Terry accepted the challenge and position as the Permaculture Director at Sustainable Kashi. Kashi includes interfaith temples, food forests, intensive gardens, and an off-grid eco-village on an 80-acre intentional community. His teaching of combining permaculture closed-loop systems and deep spiritual practices has been called “sacred ecology”. He has worked on several community building projects including community gardens for the homeless, organic gardens for children with autism, free community permaculture courses for low-income families, and partnered in the construction and design of the “Econ Farm”, a project to demonstrate low-impact living that was featured in Oprah Magazine in 2008. Terry has taught classes on permaculture and closed loop eco-systems across the United States, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Australia, Panama, and in the Bahamas.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Cashew Lime Crema
10 Large Peppers for stuffing
1 onion, chopped
4 small elongated red peppers, diced
2 habanera peppers, diced small
2 cups cherry tomatoes
8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 cups chopped kale
2 Tbs. chopped garlic
1-½ t. salt
½ t. pepper
1 can black beans
1 cup frozen organic corn
Cashew Lime Crema
3 cups cashews, soaked 3 hours or more, then drained
2 cups water
Juice of 1 lime, plus 3 Tbs. Lime juice
1 t. chipotle powder
1 t. salt
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 t. cumin Crumb Topping
1 t. chipotle powder ½ cup unsweetened organic corn flakes, crushed
½ t. smoked paprika ½ cup crushed tortilla chips
Chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- For Crema– Blend all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Adjust to taste.
For the Filling;
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for a few more minutes. Add the spices, salt & pepper, along with the mushrooms and kale and cook for 5 minutes, until they are soft. Add the cherry tomatoes and continue cooking, until all the tomatoes have broken down. Add the beans and frozen corn and the brown rice and continue cooking for a few minutes, letting the flavors come together.
Stuff the Peppers;
- Cut the peppers in half and scoop out the seeds and ribs from the peppers. Lay them out in a single layer in a baking dish or roasting pan. Fill each pepper with the filling. Pour half of the Cashew Crema over the peppers, and sprinkle with the crushed crumb topping.
- Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes, until peppers are soft.
- Serve with remaining cashew lime crema on the side and enjoy!