Every four years, when the presidential election cycle comes around, news junkies are treated to some iteration of the following stories:
- Is This The End Of The Religious Right?
- Can Evangelicals Be Liberals?
- Can Democrats Win People of Faith?
- Do The Democrats Have A Religion Problem?
- Can The Religious Left Be Effective Again?
You could set your watch to the schedule, if it were hourly instead of quadrennial. (The answers, if you’re keeping track at home, are: No; Yes, a few of them are; They already do; Don’t be a dope; and No, not in their current formulation.)