Caryn Hartglass combines science with practical knowledge from real life experiences to educate about the healing benefits of a plant-based diet. Caryn is co-founder along with her life partner Gary De Mattei of the nonprofit Responsible Eating And Living (REAL). She obtained the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell’s Plant Based Nutrition Certificate. She’s co-directed nutrition programs at the Food Revolution Network and was editor of the Food Revolution Family Cookbook. She has appeared on Dr. Oz, Geraldo At Large, 20-20 and CNN, and hosts the weekly It’s All About Food show on the Progressive Radio Network since 2009. With Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in Chemical Engineering from Bucknell University, she worked in the semiconductor industry for 20 years. A classically trained singer, she has performed in opera and musicals in the United States and abroad and won two international voice competitions (France, South Africa). An ovarian cancer survivor, she’s a contributor to 25 Women Who Survived Cancer: Notable Women Share Inspiring Stories of Hope, along with Robin Roberts, Fran Drescher, and Patti LuPone. Caryn and Gary produced the documentary, The Lone Vegan Preaching to the Fire, about Caryn speaking to 250 cattle producers about animal agriculture’s impact on climate change.
Butternut Squash Muffins,Vegan, & Gluten-Free
Preheat Oven to 350°
Makes 48 muffins
- 2 Tbs ground flax seeds, mixed with 2 Tbs. apple cider and 2 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. chia seeds
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and grated (approx 5 cups)
- 1 ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup organic oil (safflower, canola or coconut oil)
- 2 cups Apple sauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 ½ t. salt
- 2 tbs. baking soda
- 4 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1 t. allspice
- 1 t. ginger
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 cups GF oats,
- Combine flax seed, apple cider vinegar and water, in small bowl, add the chia seeds and set aside
- In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Add the flax seed mixture. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mix together until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Prepare muffin tins with cupcake liners. Fill ¾ full.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 10 minutes, turn pans, and bake another 10 or until a toothpick comes out clean